Whether you're passionate about the great outdoors or even if you go camping just once per summer, getting the best family tent for camping will make the experience so much more enjoyable. Choosing the best tent can seem like a complicated choice. With hundreds of different tent models available spanning across dozens of different brands, choosing just one is extremely complicated.
We've tested a bunch of top rated tents to really down the selection. We checked waterproofing levels, comfort, height, ease of installation as well as many other factors that all contribute to an enjoyable camping experience. Make sure to browse our list of the best family tents for camping below and read our best tent reviews at the bottom of this article for in-depth reviews of the best tents in the chart.
Top 6 Best Family Tents
Choosing the Best Family Tents for Camping
Finding the best family tents for camping isn't always as simple as it seems. Even with the best tent reviews, it can often become an overwhelming decision to make. However, with our side by side comparison of the highest rated tents for camping with the family above, you should easily be able to compare main features and prices. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when shopping for the best tents.
- Weight - One of the important things to consider is the weight. You very easily opt for a massive tent, but if 50 pounds is too heavy for you to drag to the campsite, you might as well opt for a lighter and smaller tent.
- Capacity - When buying tents, you should always get a bigger tent than you actually need. For instance, if you're a family of 5, you should opt for an 8 to 10-person tent. This is because a 5-person tent can only sleep roughly 3 people comfortably, especially when you consider the bags and luggage that you need to bring with you.
- Waterproof - It's essential that you get a waterproof tent. Most tents come with a waterproof fly top, but some cheaper tents are not as resistant to water. If you opt for a cheaper version, you should buy a water-resistant spray. We recommend the Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent, which is cheap and highly effective.
- Height - The height of the tent is incredibly important depending on your specific needs. If you plan on sleeping in the tent only and not spending actual time inside of it, a shorter tent height shouldn't be much of an issue. But if you plan on getting dressed, eating meals or even playing games in the tent, a higher tent may be a better option. This is especially true for taller people. The last thing you want is to have to crawl around on your knees at all times.
- Ventilation - A properly ventilated tent is crucial. Even though most tent fabrics are breathable, you'll need proper ventilation just as you do in a house. Most tents come with more than enough windows, but it's worth verifying this just in case you would accidentally order a tent with poor ventilation.
The average campsite lot size for tents is 14 x 14 feet. That's usually enough space for one very large tent or two smaller tents.
The average amount of people who participate in outdoor camping every single year in the USA is roughly 40.2 million.
The top rated tents in the chart above all have amazing features such as waterproof membranes, excellent height, perfect ventilation and more. We encourage you to learn more about each tent by clicking on the buy now buttons to actually see the full listing with full specifications and descriptions, along with actual user reviews. Below you will find the top 3 best family tents for camping reviewed in more detail.
6 Best Family Tent Reviews
[amazon box="B01DL39N2S"]While the Ozark Trail Base Camp tent is one of the most expensive tents in our chart, it's also the largest. This tent is meant for large families or people who want a ton of space. As a 14-person tent, you could easily fit 5 queen size air beds in this tent. With 5 different rooms and the ability to close off sections at will, you will have all the privacy you need. One of the best things about this model is the 78" height, which allows you to stand up with ease. It should take you just about 25 to 30 minutes to set up this tent when setting it up with 2 to 3 people. The Ozark Trail Base Camp tent includes 4 doors for easy access and 12 windows as well as a mesh top for incredible ventilation. If you're looking for a large tent that is great for star-gazing, excellent for families and easy to set up, you won't want to miss out on the Ozark Trail Base Camp tent.[/amazon]
[amazon box="B001TSCF96"]Another one of the excellent options to consider when shopping for the best family tents for camping is the Coleman Montana. This 8-person tent is a breeze to setup and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes for 2 people to complete. The 74 inches of height in the center make this tent high enough for most people of average height and with a 16 feet by 9 feet floor plan, you can easily fit 2 king size air beds. There are two mesh windows that can be closed for privacy and the top mesh provides even more ventilation. Available at a very affordable price range, the Coleman Montana 8-person tent is among the best choices for families of 4 to 5 people.[/amazon]
[amazon box="B017NFRQV0"]Last but not least is the Wenzel Klondike Tent, which is one of the best family tents for camping. The very affordable price tag allows you to get a lot of tent without having to overspend. The high ceilings of 78 inches high allow people up to 6.5 feet tall to stand up straight without touching the ceiling. The entry way makes a perfect family area as well as a place to hang out during hot days or even rainy days. This very well ventilated tent allows air to circulate with ease. One of the best things about this tent are the large windows that provide you with excellent visibility. The Wenzel Klondike Tent is highly resistant to water and is very durable against harsh conditions such as strong winds. Consider this top rated tent if you're a family of 3 or 4 and want a cozy tent with lots of head space.[/amazon]