Hair loss can be distressing for the average person. Sure, Vin Diesel or Bruce Willis might be able to pull off that hairless look, but for someone who doesn’t have access to the kind of life a movie star has, trying to minimize the problem is as much as we can do.
Hair loss can be caused by many factors, but the most common one is a combination of hormones and genetics. Once the hairs start to fall out, you can either accept your condition, or use a shampoo designed to treat the problem. There are many shampoos to prevent and treat hair loss in the market, so we have compiled a list of the best shampoo for hairs loss and regrowth. Each one has its own list of ingredients that can help treat the baldness, so follow our Top shampoo for hair loss review and choose the one that seems the most adequate for you.
6 Best Shampoos for Hair Loss Comparison Chart
|Content||8 fl oz.||16 fl oz.||16 fl oz.||16 fl oz.||10 fl oz.||8 fl oz.|
|Main Ingredients||Caffeine, Ketoconazole||Biotin, niacin||Blend of 17 ingredients||Argan oil, white willow bark||Procapil, organic castor oil||Rosemary, coconut|
|Buy Now||View Product||View Product||View Product||View Product||View Product||View Product|
Hair Loss Shampoo Buying Guide & Recommendations
Deciding which can be the Best shampoo for hair loss depends on what you are looking for. Some shampoos for hair loss and regrowth are based on chemicals, while others use a more organic and natural approach. Your scalp is also important, if you have oily hair, you don’t want to use shampoo that will leave it even greasier. Same goes for the opposite, look for shampoos that contain a good oil blend if you have a dry scalp or live in a cold, dry place.
- DHT Blockers - DHT, or Dihydrotestosterone, restricts blood supply to the hair follicles, which can cause hair loss. This is more frequent in men than women, but both can be affected. The Best hair loss treatment shampoo will contain DHT blockers to inhibit it from binding to the receptors on the hair follicles, helping avoid hair thinning caused by low blood flow.
- Saw Palmetto - Saw palmetto is a plant with small berries and has been used by Native Americans for years to treat bladder infections, but recent research has discovered that it can also be used in topical medications and shampoos for hair loss prevention and treatment. The way saw palmetto acts is by blocking an enzyme known as 5-alpha-reductase, which creates DHT from the testosterone in the body. Simply put, it acts as a natural DHT blocker.
- Caffeine - Although not as popular as saw palmetto, some good hair loss shampoos include caffeine in their formula. A study published in the International Journal of Dermatology concluded that it can act as a “stimulator of human hair growth.” And no, those lattes you enjoy at your local Starbucks don’t act as a caffeine source because it is quickly excreted by your body. Caffeine, when included in shampoo, supplies energy to the hair root.
- Sulfates - Some sulfates, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), are included in many hair loss shampoos. It is what gives you that soapy, bubbly texture, and acts as a degreaser, removing oil and dirt from your scalp and hair and sending it down the drain. The problem is that if you have a sensitive scalp it can make it dry and itchy. If the shampoo you are using contains SLS, you need to make sure you rinse it very well and leave no residues that can deposit in your hair follicles. If SLS reaches them for a long time it can corrode them, causing hair loss.
- Organic & Inorganic - Read the formula and ingredients your hair loss shampoo uses. Chemicals aren’t always so bad, and some have been well-tested for baldness treatment. If you’d rather take a natural approach, there are plenty of great shampoo for hair loss and regrowth which use a variety of organic ingredients, such as Aloe vera, grapefruit seed extract, lemongrass oil, lactobacillus ferment and pumpkin seed oil, which can treat thinning hair and premature hair loss in men and women alike.
Hair loss is quite common. 80 percent of men experience some level of baldness, while 40 percent of women will lose a significant amount of hair after menopause. However, women tend to have their hair thin out, instead of developing the signature spots which are frequent in men.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, the most common cause of hair loss is hereditary, and it affects about 80 million men and women in the USA. This type of hair loss is also known as Androgenetic alopecia, female-pattern baldness, or male-pattern baldness. It is normal to lose an average of 100 hairs every day, but if there are any visible bald patches or lots of thinning, it is probably hereditary hair loss.
Hair loss fuels a multi-million industry, and the market just keeps getting larger. As the population across the world ages, hair restoration services increase in demand. According to a report published by Grand View Research, Inc, the alopecia market is projected to be worth over 11.8 billion by 2024. This is a big jump from the 2.8 billion spent in 2015
3 Best Shampoo for Hair Loss Reviews
Ultrax Labs Hair Solace
Ultrax Labs is a company that uses newly researched breakthrough ingredients in their products. Caffeine is the latest trend since it provides extra energy to the hair follicles. This Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo can be used by men and women, and besides the caffeine, its formula contains other ingredients which can help treat hair loss. These are some of them: menthol, niacin, saw palmetto, peppermint oil, mango butter, Ethylhexylglycerin, and Phenoxyethanol.
When using a product that uses caffeine in its formula you’d expect to have your hair smelling like a Starbuck’s barista. Don’t worry; this shampoo has a mild sweet-citrusy smell you will love. It can be used on colored hair, and you will find it at top hair salons across the world. For maximum effectiveness, the shampoo should be utilized at least five times per week. Hair Surge shampoo will improve the hair’s vitality, thickness, and scalp vitality starting from the first use.
Another thing to consider is that this shampoo includes a 0.2% of Ketoconazole in its formula. The anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties of Ketoconazole make it standard in antidandruff shampoos, but research has shown that it can also aid in hair growth.
Majestic Pure Hair Loss Shampoo
If you believe in the power of plants, and that clean and pure ingredients can nourish your body, you will like this shampoo. All Majestic Pure products are made to an eco-friendly formula, developed with protecting the planet in mind. They are also 100&% cruelty-free, with no animals harmed in the process of manufacturing the products.
This hair loss shampoo doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals and instead goes for a blend of 14 different DHT blockers. Among the ingredients you will find turmeric root extract, citric acid, Cedrus atlantica oil, saw palmetto, Rosmarinus officinalis, and Salvia Sclarea oil. It also contains biotin, which strengthens hair strands, and niacin, which increases circulation.
It can be used on all hair types and genders, even on color treated hair, and is gentle enough to be used daily. Just apply it to wet hair, leave it on for a couple of minutes so it can penetrate deeply and be absorbed, and rinse. It will not leave any sheen or oily residues on your scalp and contains no sulfates, parabens or gluten.
Pura D'or Anti Hair Loss Shampoo
PURA D’OR uses bioactive formulas that are infused with a variety of premium organic oils, as well as a combination of natural extracts which act together to combat hair thinning. It stimulates the follicles, repairing and providing strength to all hair types.
This hair loss shampoo is free of chemicals and doesn’t contain any sulfates or parabens. It is hypoallergenic, gluten-free, and color safe. Among the ingredients in its formula you will find biotin, which encourages healthy hair; pumpkin seed and black cumin seed oil, that help thinning hair; rosemary and green tea, that stimulate follicles and strengthen hair; and nettle, that promotes thicker, healthier hair. These, and several other ingredients included in the formula, fortify and energize the hair from the root to the tip, increasing volume and thickness. The shampoo is gentle enough to be used daily.
As with most of the best hair loss shampoos, PURA D’OR can be used safely on color treated hair. It comes in an upgraded bottle with a pump that makes squirting the shampoo into your hand much easier. This shampoo is also one of the few that use red seaweed as an ingredient. Red seaweed, or Grateloupia elliptica, which is native to Jeju Island, Korea, has been researched by scientists at Jeju National University and has been found to be an effective DHT blocker.