Point and shoot cameras are the basic addition for anyone who wants a camera on-hand when they want to take pictures. While most people now rely on their smartphone for taking photos, it's always nice to have a dedicated camera. Whether you have a small budget or even if you want to avoid the overly-complicated features on more expensive cameras, the best point and shoot camera under $300 will be able to satisfy your needs.
These types of cameras have come a long way over the past two decades. You no longer need to buy film or crank anything manually. Good point and shoot now come with HD imagery, the ability to film in 1080p HD, fully automated zooms and focuses as well as many other useful features. You don't have to overspend in order to enjoy high quality results from a very simple to use camera.
Knowing which are the best point and shoot cameras under $300 can prove to be a complex task if you don't know what to look for. That's why we're providing you with some basic buying recommendations below. We also encourage you to browse the great point and shoot cameras from our comparison chart. Compare these top options and choose one that suits your needs and your budget.
Top 6 Cameras Under $300 Comparison Chart
Buying Recommendations for the Best Cameras Under $300
- Zoom - Getting a point and shoot camera with a zoom option is a good idea, but anything above a 3x zoom will provide you with blurry images unless you can get your hands on a device that provides anti-shake/anti-vibration features.
- Megapixels - One of the most highly considered features of a point and shoot camera is the amount of pixels. It's important to keep in mind that you won't necessarily benefit from better quality images if you get a camera with a higher megapixel rating. More megapixels essentially allow you to enlarge photos without losing quality and when cropping photos. Anything above 6 megapixels should be enough for most people.
- Memory Size - When purchasing a point and shoot camera, it's worth considering the maximum amount of memory that you can add to the device. Some cameras will have a maximum of 32GB cards whereas some newer point and shoot cameras can accommodate as much as several terabytes. Obviously the more memory you can add, the better.
- Auto-Focus - Another important feature to look for when purchasing your camera is whether or not it has auto-focus. Focusing automatically on faces when people are present in the images etc, will allow you to save a lot of time and enjoy much better quality photos.
Digital SLR cameras are the larger cameras usually seen being used by professional photographers. Did you know that you can enjoy relatively similar quality images without spending thousands of dollars on SLR cameras?
While point and shoot cameras cannot provide you with as many manual options, interchangeable lenses and large sensors, they have certainly come a long way. Now you can enjoy 1080p videos, cameras with 30+ megapixels and all sorts of amazing features in a camera that can easily fit in your pocket.
Best Point & Shoot Camera Brands
6 Best Point and Shoot Camera Reviews
- Powerful 25x Optical Zoom with Intelligent IS helps optimize image stabilization for virtually shake-free images.
- Built-in Wi-Fi* and NFC** allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos. Maximum f/number : f/3.2 - f/6.6
- 20.2 Megapixel*** CMOS sensor with DIGIC 4+ Image Processor helps deliver stunning image quality even in low light. Auto zoom dependent on number of subjects
- Capture spectacular 1080p Full HD video. Focusing Range : 1cm (0.4 Inches) - infinity (W), 1.0m (3.3ft.) - infinity (T)
- 20.1 Megapixel Plus 8x Zoom
- Optical Steady Shot image Stabilization with 2-way Active Mode
- 720p MP4 HD Movie Mode ; This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
- Panorama Shooting: 360 Sweep Panorama; Minimum Illumination: Auto: 22.0 lux Shutter Speed 1/30
- 16MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
- NIKKOR f/3.0-6.5mm ED Lens
- 22.5-900mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 40x Optical Zoom Lens, 80x Dynamic Zoom
- 36X Optical Zoom
- 24mm Wide Angle
- 16 Megapixels
- 3" LCD Screen
- 30x (24-720mm) LEICA DC Lens optical zoom performance is ideally suited for travel and everyday photography
- 18 Megapixel sensor delivers high-resolution photos with fewer image artifacts
- 4K Ultra HD video recording plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus photo capture features
- Eye-level Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) and touch-enabled LCD for a wider viewing experience
- 10x Optical / 20x Clear Image Zoom G Lens, 182MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images, BIONZ X engine for superb detail and noise reduction
- Operating temperature:32-104°F/0-40°C.Smooth Full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC, Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
- Motion Shot Video traces subject movement, 4K quality still image output via HDMI 2, Sweep Panorama mode (up to 360 degrees), Picture Effect for more expressive photos
* Last update on 2018-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API