Whether you're passionate about the great outdoors or even if you go camping just once per summer, getting the best family tent for camping will make the experience so much more enjoyable. Choosing the best tent can seem like a complicated choice. With hundreds of different tent models available spanning across dozens of different brands, choosing just one is extremely complicated.
We've tested a bunch of top rated tents to really down the selection. We checked waterproofing levels, comfort, height, ease of installation as well as many other factors that all contribute to an enjoyable camping experience. Make sure to browse our list of the best family tents for camping below and read our best tent reviews at the bottom of this article for in-depth reviews of the best tents in the chart.
Top 6 Best Family Tents
Choosing the Best Family Tents for Camping
Finding the best family tents for camping isn't always as simple as it seems. Even with the best tent reviews, it can often become an overwhelming decision to make. However, with our side by side comparison of the highest rated tents for camping with the family above, you should easily be able to compare main features and prices. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when shopping for the best tents.
- Weight - One of the important things to consider is the weight. You very easily opt for a massive tent, but if 50 pounds is too heavy for you to drag to the campsite, you might as well opt for a lighter and smaller tent.
- Capacity - When buying tents, you should always get a bigger tent than you actually need. For instance, if you're a family of 5, you should opt for an 8 to 10-person tent. This is because a 5-person tent can only sleep roughly 3 people comfortably, especially when you consider the bags and luggage that you need to bring with you.
- Waterproof - It's essential that you get a waterproof tent. Most tents come with a waterproof fly top, but some cheaper tents are not as resistant to water. If you opt for a cheaper version, you should buy a water-resistant spray. We recommend the Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent, which is cheap and highly effective.
- Height - The height of the tent is incredibly important depending on your specific needs. If you plan on sleeping in the tent only and not spending actual time inside of it, a shorter tent height shouldn't be much of an issue. But if you plan on getting dressed, eating meals or even playing games in the tent, a higher tent may be a better option. This is especially true for taller people. The last thing you want is to have to crawl around on your knees at all times.
- Ventilation - A properly ventilated tent is crucial. Even though most tent fabrics are breathable, you'll need proper ventilation just as you do in a house. Most tents come with more than enough windows, but it's worth verifying this just in case you would accidentally order a tent with poor ventilation.
The average campsite lot size for tents is 14 x 14 feet. That's usually enough space for one very large tent or two smaller tents.
The average amount of people who participate in outdoor camping every single year in the USA is roughly 40.2 million.
The top rated tents in the chart above all have amazing features such as waterproof membranes, excellent height, perfect ventilation and more. We encourage you to learn more about each tent by clicking on the buy now buttons to actually see the full listing with full specifications and descriptions, along with actual user reviews. Below you will find the top 3 best family tents for camping reviewed in more detail.
6 Best Family Tent Reviews
- Spacious 8-person tent has enough room for 2 queen size air beds
- Sets up in 1 minute in 3 easy steps
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Large screened windows and doors keep bugs out
- RATED #6 FOR THE BEST FAMILY TENT IN THE USA IN 2016. SPACIOUS 9 to 10 Person (aduls/kids), 2 Rooms, 2 Doors, 3 Windows Tent Designed for Easy Assembly with color coded poles. Super 6.2 FT height for maximum comfort.
- FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY: Double layer 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column, partially aluminium, heat-welded PU seam sealed and UV protection, Large covered mesh vents provide even more ventilation. Inner tent: Large D-style doors with mosquito mesh for great views and ventilation. Roomy utility pockets and gear loft for gear storage.
- FRAME: 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock corded fiber glass rods with improved diameter and double gold plated ferrules. Aluminium Pin-and-ring system for easy and quick setup.
- MOSQUITO MESH: Inner tent fully breathable with generous Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh keeps you safe from smallest insects and mosquitos while offering some privacy from side view (when not using the rainfly).
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72"
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
* Last update on 2018-04-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API