Nothing beats that feeling of snuggling with your loved ones while you enjoy the warmth of a fireplace. Any living room can get a cozy look by having a fireplace installed, but you need to be aware of the disadvantages it can imply.
For starters, you don’t want your house to get filled with an unpleasant gas smell, or even worse, smoke that can penetrate your clothing and make it stink for days. Fireplaces that burn wood require a lot of maintenance. First you need to get some logs, which are not cheap, and then you have to spend your time cleaning out the ashes. Gas fireplaces, on the other hand, will require a special installation that only a certified plumber can do. Gas leaks can be dangerous, so you always need to get yourself a pro to set it up.
Forget about all this and get yourself an electric fireplace. There are plenty of great electric fireplace heaters you can buy for under $500 and have them heating up your house in just a few minutes. Let’s compare some electric fireplaces and find the best one for you. Here are some great options.
Top 6 Electric Fireplace Heater Comparison Chart
Electric Fireplace Buying Guide
Choosing the Best electric fireplace for your home depends on what you need. Do you want to hang it on the wall, or would rather have a standing model? Is it going to heat up a large room or a small one? Do you want a realistic one that simulates burning logs or one with fun crystals that can change color? Use this guide to compare electric fireplaces before buying and find the one that matches your needs.
- Pick the Location - Before you buy your electric fireplace you need to know where it will go. Is it for your living room? For your bedroom? How big is the are available for installing it? You don’t want to buy a fireplace only to see that you have to move all your furniture around to make space for it. You also need to make sure there is no furniture nearby that can be damaged by the heat radiated by your fireplace.
- Make It Blend In - Are you someone who enjoys a minimalist style, or do you have a more traditional approach? What architectural style does your room have? What kind of decoration do you have? This is important because you want your fireplace to look like a natural part of the room. Wall mounted fireplaces are used for a modern look, while a standing model can be handy to put items on top of it.
- Remote Control - The best electric fireplace heaters will include a remote control so you can operate them from a distance. With the remote, you can change the flame´s lighting, or turn on and off the device. Some models also offer the ability to modify the temperature, making the heat stronger when needed.
- How Realistic Should It Be? - There are affordable electric fireplaces that simulate a burning log in a very realistic way. The lights flicker to simulate a flame, while heat is radiated from the sides or the top.
- Charging Docks - The amount of time it takes to recharge your batteries is important for most home owners. Some charging docks are slow and can take a full day to recharge the battery, whereas the best cordless drills will come with fast charging docks that only take a couple of hours to fully recharge the batteries.
- Spare Battery - One of the best things to check for is whether or not the drill comes with a spare battery. Having a secondary battery is priceless because if the main battery runs out and needs to be recharged, you'll be able to continue the work without having to wait several hours.
Burning fireplaces are ranked in the top 10 causes of US house fires. Sparks and embers can jump out of the fireplace, traveling across the room and creating flames on carpets or furniture. But even if it is covered, unmaintained chimneys can also damage structures and destroy homes.
This means that you need to inspect and clean out the chimney at least once a year, which is an additional cost. And every time you are ready to go to bed you will have to put out the fire, usually by pouring some water onto the logs, creating a big mess. With an electric fireplace, all you need to do is unplug it and forget about it.
Did you know that close to 90% of the heat output from a fireplace that burns wood is sent up the chimney to be discharged outdoors? This makes them terribly inefficient as a heating source for your house. They can even make your rooms colder since wood requires a significant amount of air to combust. Unless it can draw this air from the outside through some special inlets, it will suck in the warm air from your house and send it through the chimney, making the outdoor cold air infiltrate the rooms to replace it.
Now that you know what to look for when selecting the Best electric fireplace heaters, here is a selection of the top models available which can quickly heat up any room in your house. Our electric fireplace reviews can make it easier for you to select the model that will best match your home’s decoration.
6 Best Electric Fireplace Reviews
With its 5,100 BTU’s you will be able to heat up a room of up to 400 square feet. It includes a bag of crystal stones and one bag of glass, which give different flame effects. An interesting feature is that there are three different flame colors you can choose from: red, blue, and both combined. These LED colors can be selected with the remote control, which also lets you turn on or off the unit and change the temperature.
Unlike many other electric fireplaces, the 3G Plus is one you can use throughout the year. If you want to warm up in a chilly winter night select a temperature from 62°F to 82°F, and once the warm seasons arrive use the fireplace as decoration since it can also be operated without any heat output. The 3g Plus electric fireplace is perfect for decorating modern spaces and provides a fresh, elegant touch.
This electric fireplace can be placed flat against the wall, or you can place it in a corner with ease. A 43” TV can be put on top, but you can use it for any decorating items you wish because it can support up to 85 pounds. A remote control is included which lets you control the temperature and select one of the four warmth settings. Once the fireplace reaches the temperature you want it will automatically shut off. It is also possible to turn off the heat to enjoy the fireplace all year long.
No longer are you tied to deciding if you want a free-standing fireplace or a wall mounted one since you can choose between both options with this model. Use the included mounting bracket or attach the stand and place it anywhere. For people who need the room to be dark while sleeping, the fireplace light can be turned off. Once the warm months arrive, use the fireplace with no heat output and use it as a decoration in the room.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Designed for wall-mounting, this 50-inch-wide electric fireplace only weighs 46 pounds, so one person can easily hang it on the wall using the step-by-step instructions provided. Once it has been mounted to your wall, all you need to do is hang and secure your fireplace with the drywall screws. You no longer need to stack firewood or clean up ashes, as the Touchstone Onyx Electric Fireplace is powered by remote control. Overall dimensions: 50.4" W x 21.65" H x 5.5" D
- TWO HEAT OPTIONS: Touchstone Onyx Electric Fireplace features two heat settings (high and low) that can heat any room of up to 400 feet, blowing heat out of the top of the unit. This allows you to control the amount of warmth produced to create a cozy atmosphere. A five-flame brightness setting that ranges from a dull ember glow to a full blazing light lets you adjust the flames depending on your desired luminosity. The Onyx also can run with no heat as well.
- REALISTIC LOG SET: Amaze your guests with the lifelike flames of this wall-hanging electric fireplace. Its realistic flames are set in a pile of faux logs or crystals (both included) that lends the homey appeal of an authentic fireplace. The log set or crystals lie behind durable tempered glass with a contemporary black frame. Enjoy smoke-free air while feeling warm during a cold night.
- ELEGANT HOME DÉCOR: Fill a big blank wall with a touch of modernity and elegance. This electric fireplace will serve as functional décor for your bedroom, library, or family room. It can be used at any time of the year, since it has a dual-mode feature that allows the fireplace to operate on low and high heat. A built-in timer for auto-shutoff can be set for 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
- INSTALLATION: In-wall recessed installation, a perfect fit for 2 X 6" wall. Flush mounted. Two electrical connections: Plug-in or Hard-wiring. Just plug in 110V outlet and enjoy
- REALISTIC FLAME EFFECT: Ultra High Intensity LED lights provide very bright and realistic flame effect. Two options for ember bed: Log set or crystal stones to suit your need. Total 4 different flame settings cater to your desired ambience (1. Yellow with a little bit blue low brightness 2. All yellow brightness 3. Yellow with a little bit blue brightness 4. All blue brightness). The flame effect can be operated with or without heat for year-round ambience
- HEATER: Upper front heater blower (vent at the top). Two heat settings (high 1500W and low 750W) can heat up to 400 square feet room quite nicely. The thermostat can control the room temperature from 61℉ to 82℉ to suit the user's preference. The countdown timer can be set to turn off the fireplace from 30 minutes to 9 hours
- MODERN HOME DÉCOR: The fireplace brings relaxation and comfort into the home, it is ideal for family room, bedroom or anywhere supplemental heat and ambiance is needed. Touch screen buttons enable a unique user experience
- Finish: Ivory
- Style: Soft Traditional
- Warms an area up to 1,000 square feet
- Materials: Poplar, MDF, veneer, metal, glass, resin
* Last update on 2018-03-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API